The Great Nurturer

I have been learning and pondering over the past few years about God and gender. Does God have a gender? Did God make them both male and female or make each a male and female? Are women supposed to submit to men? Should women speak in the church? I’ve heard comments from well intentioned pastors saying, “it says clearly that men are the head of the household, but they are to serve as Jesus.” I don’t think that’s what Paul meant. And I’ve heard from independent women that, “women shouldn’t teach men in church because they don’t have enough authority.” I, honestly, think much of what we believe today has been mashed together with colloquialism and fairytales. There is so much that is stated as fact that is truly not that cut and dry in the Bible. It is a complicated book, not meant to be scientific evidence, exact history, literal interpretation and a list of defined rules. I remember as a teenager believing that the Bible has an answer for anything. I only need to find it or conjure a meditative state or flip through the book and place my finger at random like a magic 8 ball. The Bible is a beautiful pile of stories that show struggle and doubt and humanity wrestling with not knowing. That is the beauty of this book. 

I  believe God is all genders. I prefer at times to refer to God as her. I feel so comforted and loved and held like a nursing mother whose breasts are overflowing with abundant milk. I needed to give her a face, an image, something to picture when I’m scared or feeling alone. She knows me and holds me and feeds me.  

I challenge you to hear what you say and ask, “Is that really true, or is it just something I say or was taught to say?” I challenge you, not to create conflict, but to consider for a moment that your neighbor might hold some truth too. Take a moment, a breathe and take in the comfort of God and that it’s ok to just love those around you and love yourself and to ask all of the questions. 

Here is my latest work in progress. She is called “the great nurturer.” Take a moment and ponder God.


Comments

Popular Posts