Human Trafficking - Sharing Truth

I forgot to mention that I went to a Human Trafficking Symposium a few weeks ago, held in Colorado Springs.  What an incredible event and all around learning experience.  After being around a community of people so focused on justice issues for many years much of what was said I've heard before, but this time it went more to my heart.  Everything became more real.  The whole event made me want to do something, but I thought, "I'm not an investigator."  I was getting all filled up with information and no where to give. 

Well, at the very end of the day we broke off into small talk groups and I ended up attending "The Art of Social Change" presented by Kevin Austin Director of the Abolitionist Faith Community, Not For Sale.  I heard him speak earlier and wanted to hear more, but had no idea that this was actually about art.  I didn't assume the play on words and figured it meant "the craftiness" or something like that. 

The whole session was about how artists can make a difference and how much people are effected by art.  Suddenly I have a role.  Kevin mentioned getting in touch with either himself or other organizations in our local area in order to provide art.  Inspiring.  I really need to remember to contact them.  Its been over a month and I still haven't.

In the end, my friend Cassidy mentioned how important it is to not use art to force people and their emotions.  To simply paint truth, without manipulation.  It is always the easy route to choose manipulation to bring change, but I think the truth should speak for itself.

Comments

Popular Posts