Can't quite get it right!

Ugh!  I'm working on a painting of an Afghan woman.  I'm pretty sure I mentioned I was starting this about two months ago.  I am having such a hard time with it.  I finally "finished"it, but I'm still not satisfied.  I'm not proud of this painting like I am of others.  Maybe I just need to step away for a while.  Either way, I ran out of paint, so I can use that as an excuse for a bit.  (I've been limping my supply along for awhile, ha.)  Often, as an artist, this feeling of "its never really finished" happens out of perfectionism or insecurity, but this piece just isn't up to the standards I've laid for myself.  As much as I love painting people, I feel at this point with my ability, the realism is hit or miss.

As soon as pay day rolls around I'll be finishing up my red splash painting and I'll be posting it, but I think this Afghan woman will be the last one I'll post...

Comments

Veronica said…
Hey, I have a few artist in my small group at church. Would you mind if I shared this as a prayer request? We'd love to pray for you! But I don't want to do it if you don't want me to share it.
Oh that would be great! I really appreciate that!
rmdc said…
I feel you, Steph. There are times where I create a card or other piece of art where I feel like it's not my best work or that there's still more in me. I've found that stepping back really helps (paint or no paint). There are times where I keep the piece as is and get over the disatification. There are times where the piece is important enough for me to do over. Art is so connected to what we think about life...ourselves so in either scenario...there is much to learn. I say...step back...look at it every day and just let it simmer for a week or so....
ah, thanks for the encouragement. I will step back. I love so much about the way I painted it, but the face and hand, look really low quality... hopefully something comes to me, because as is, i'd be embarassed to post it.

Popular Posts