The Art of Encouragement

A little over a month ago a good friend of mine sent this article to me and her other artistic friends.  It was an eye opener into the way I work.  I believe anyone that is an artist or is in community with artists should read this article.

The Art Of Encouragement

My husband has been an almost constant source of encouragement to me, especially in regards to my art.  Often I say "I want to be an artist" or tell people as a side note that "I dabble in art."  He is quick to remind me that I am already an artist.  I sell myself short by being too satisfied with hanging my art only on my own walls.  It is so scary to risk rejection, but he continues to show me how much he is willing to be involved in getting my work out there and not letting me settle with simply finishing my series and quietly selling it off for any price I can get.

Just a few days ago, I "finished" another piece of my Afghanistan series.  Nate knows my potential.  When I showed him my finished product he seemed less than satisfied but told me he was glad that I had finished another one.  Later I asked him,"what do you really think"?  He responded by pointing to another of my paintings and saying, "I think you can keep working at it until it looks as good as this painting."  He was right.  I was at a frustrating stage, I couldn't get the colors to look right, I was sick of all the detail.  I wanted my painting to be enough, but I was selling myself short.

I am very glad to have such a strong encourager in my life and I hope all of the artists reading this have at least one strong encourager, and I hope the rest are able to learn more about artists from the article above.

Comments

Popular Posts